This 60-minute instructional video provides information essential to the promotion of personnel safety in sterile processing departments.
Earn 1 credit hour CE through CBSPD and IAHCSMM.
The script was written by P. Richard Warburton, PhD, JD; CTO & General Counsel, ChemDAQ, Inc. It includes practical guidance on:
- Legal duties and who's who among the relevant regulatory agencies and professional organizations
- Common hazards encountered in the sterile processing department
- Bloodborne pathogens and infection prevention
- Proper selection, use, and disposal of personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Relevant standards that pertain to the use of PPE, steam and chemical sterilization, and ethylene oxide
- Safe storage, handling, and disposal of contaminated items and chemical agents
- Key elements of engineering controls that promote safe handling of sterilants and high-level disinfectants
- Appropriate labelling of chemicals
- Responsibilities of employers and staff in preventing, managing, and reporting accidents in the workplace