This 60-minute instructional video provides information essential to the promotion of personnel safety in sterile processing departments.
Earn 1 credit hour CE through CBSPD and IAHCSMM.
The script was written by P. Richard Warburton, PhD, JD; CTO & General Counsel, ChemDAQ, Inc. It includes practical guidance on:
- Legal duties and who's who among the relevant regulatory agencies and professional organizations
- Common hazards encountered in the sterile processing department
- Bloodborne pathogens and infection prevention
- Proper selection, use, and disposal of personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Relevant standards that pertain to the use of PPE, steam and chemical sterilization, and ethylene oxide
- Safe storage, handling, and disposal of contaminated items and chemical agents
- Key elements of engineering controls that promote safe handling of sterilants and high-level disinfectants
- Appropriate labelling of chemicals
- Responsibilities of employers and staff in preventing, managing, and reporting accidents in the workplace
Filmed at the New England Baptist Outpatient Care Center in Dedham, MA.
Special thanks to Rose Seavey, MBA, BS, CNOR, CRCST, CSPDT; Mark Duro, CRCST, FCS, MOTU; and Karen Nauss, CRCST for their help in the development and filming of this video.
Disclaimer: This video is intended to be a helpful information resource, and reflects the expert advice and views of the author. It is not to be construed as an interpretation of AAMI standards, nor does it constitute legal or regulatory advice.